Last Updated: February 12, 2020
We may change this policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of the policy, and, in some cases, we may provide you with additional notice (such as by adding a statement to our homepage or sending you a notification). Please check this page when you access the services to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, participate in any interactive features of the Services, write a review, respond to a survey, fill out a form, participate in a contest or promotion, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support, interact with us via chat, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number and any other information you choose to provide.
A Note about Customer Reviews
Information We Collect from Other Sources
If you create or log into your account through a social media site, we may have access to certain information from that site, such as your name, user ID, account information, information that you have made public, and friends lists, according to the social media site’s data practices and your privacy settings on that social media site.
We may also collect demographic information about you from third parties, including data brokers, mailing list providers, and publicly available sources. We may also receive information about you from our business partners, such as those companies who have created an account with us as Accredited Members. This information may include name, city, state, email address, phone number, and order number or account number.
Automatically Collected Information
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, application version, access times, pages viewed, time spent on pages, clicks, website technical errors, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve our services. We may also use the information we collect to:
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages and to respond to your comments, questions and customer service requests;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, and events offered by Scanster and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate and prevent security incidents, malicious deceptive or fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Scanster and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair site functionality;
- Ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech or exercise another right provided by law;
- Comply with the law and our legal obligations; and
- Carry-out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
How We Share Information
- We may share information we receive about you with our service providers who need access to such information to provide services to us on our behalf.
- We may share consumer reviews we receive from you with the companies that are the subject of the review and with our affiliates or other entities with whom we have a business relationship. These entities may post these reviews on their respective websites.
- We may also share information (including your first name and, in some cases, your email address, full name, address, or phone number) from comments that you have posted on our website, forms you have filled out, and other submissions, with our business partners, who may use those submissions for analysis and marketing purposes.
- We may disclose information if we have a good faith belief that we are required to do so to comply with the law or legal process, such as in response to subpoenas, courts orders, or requests by government authorities, law enforcement authorities, courts, or regulators, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may also disclose information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Scanster or others.
- As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such transactions, or during related negotiations, we may share user information.
- We may share information between and among Scanster and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control or ownership.
- We may share your information when we otherwise have your permission.
Online Analytics and Tailored Advertising
For more information about interest-based ads, or to opt out of having your web browsing information used for behavioral advertising purposes, please visit www.aboutads.info/choices. Your device may also include a feature (“Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS or “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through apps used for behavioral advertising purposes.
To opt-out of cookies or other trackers, please see “Your Choices” below or visit our Cookies Policy.
We are committed to data security. We use reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction.
Transfer of Information to the United States
The Services are hosted in the United States. Therefore, we and our service providers may transfer your information to, or store or access it in, jurisdictions that may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction. We will take steps to ensure that your personal data receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
When we transfer personal data from the European Union or Switzerland to the United States, we comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss – U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data transferred from the European Union and Switzerland to the United States, respectively. Scanster has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
In compliance with the Privacy Shield Principles, we are committed to resolving complaints about our processing of your personal data. EU and Swiss individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our compliance with the Privacy Shield program should first contact us. We have further committed to refer unresolved Privacy Shield complaints to JAMS, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your complaint to your satisfaction, please contact or visit https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-or-safe-harbor-claim for more information or to file a complaint. The services of JAMS are provided at no cost to you.
Under certain conditions, you may be able to invoke binding arbitration to resolve your complaint. Scanster is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission.
If we share personal data transferred to the U.S. under the Privacy Shield with a third-party service provider that processes such data on our behalf, then we will be liable for that third party’s processing in violation of the Privacy Shield Principles, unless we can prove that we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
Information Access and Account Cancellation
If you wish to deactivate your account or request that we no longer use your information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period of time.
Information for California Residents
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to disclose the following information with respect to our collection, use, and disclosure of personal information.
- Categories of Personal Information Collected: In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers; internet or other electronic network activity information; and other information that relates to or is reasonably capable of being associated with you. For examples of the precise data points we collect, please see “Collection of Information” above.
- Business or Commercial Purposes for Collecting and Using Data: For each category of personal information we collect, we may use the personal information for the business and commercial purposes listed in “How We Use Information” above.
- Categories of Sources of Personal Data: Each category of personal information we collect is collected from you and the sources described in “Information We Collect from Other Sources” above.
- Categories of Personal Data Disclosed: In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for business or commercial purposes: identifiers; and internet and electronic network activity information.
- Categories of Third Parties With Whom We Share Data: We may share each category of personal information that we collect with the third parties listed in ‘How We Share Information’ above.
Exercising Your CCPA Rights
We describe how California consumers can exercise their rights under the CCPA below. You may also designate an authorized agent to exercise these rights on your behalf by emailing email@example.com. Please note at this time the CCPA only applies to California residents.
- Right to Know: You may request access to the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you in the last 12 months. You may also request additional details about our information practices, including the categories of the personal information we have collected about you, the sources of such collection, the categories of personal information we share for a business or commercial purpose, and the categories of third parties with whom we share your personal information.
- Deletion: You may request that we delete the personal information we have collected from or about you. Please note that we may retain certain information as required or permitted by applicable law. If you request to delete your personal information, some of our Services may no longer be available to you.
- Sale of Personal Information: California law requires that we provide transparency about Personal Information we “sell,” which for the purposes of the CCPA, broadly means scenarios in which we have shared personal information with partners in exchange for valuable consideration, and to give you the ability to opt out of such sales. We share information that identifies you personally such as your name or email address when you submit a review, request information, or otherwise interact with the Services. We also share information that identifies your device such as cookie and other device identifiers and IP address, together with information about your interactions with our Services with our advertising partners so that they can show ads that are more likely to be of interest to you. This may be considered a “sale” under the CCPA.
Note that in order to opt out of cookie and other device identifier sharing, you will need to exercise this choice on every browser or device you use to access our Services, and you will need to renew your choice if you clear your cookies.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your consumer rights under CCPA. We will not deny you goods or services, provide you with a different level or quality of goods or services, nor suggest that you may receive a different level or quality of goods or services.
Submit A Request
We will send a verification request to the email address provided and confirm the request upon receipt of your response. If you have more than one email address on record with Scanster, you will have to initiate a separate consumer request for each email address on file.
California Shine the Light Law
California’s Shine the Light law permits users of our Service that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes. To make such a request, or to opt out of this sharing, please see the “Contact Us” section below. You may also opt-out by completing the Do Not Sell My Info web form.
Your European Union and Swiss Privacy Rights
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) or Switzerland, you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
Legal Basis for Processing
If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, when we process your personal data we will only do so in the following situations:
- We need to use your personal data to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., providing the Services you have requested).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, we may process your personal data to send you marketing communications, to communicate with you about changes to our Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
- You have provided consent for us to process your personal data.
Data Subject Requests
If you are in the EEA, you have the right to access personal data we hold about you and to ask that your personal data be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you are in Switzerland, you have the right to access, correct or erase the personal data we hold about you. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions or Complaints
If you are in the EEA or Switzerland and have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority where you reside. For contact details of your local EEA Data Protection Authority, please see: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm. For Swiss residents, contact details of the Swiss data protection authority, the Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC) are available here: https://www.edoeb.admin.ch/edoeb/en/home/the-fdpic/contact/address.html.